Summer Learning Program
What is the Summer Learning Program?
The Summer Learning Program (SLP) engages K-12 students from afterschool programs and community organizations which offer programming specifically for disadvantaged student populations during the summer months. Students have the opportunity to visit a participating California state park for a day or overnight immersive program exploring the outdoors and cultural and natural resources of the park.
The stimulating interpretive programs and activities that are presented in the SLP help the students advance academically and physically. These programs introduce them to the excitement of being in natural environments and cultural settings. Students also come away with insights and appreciation for their important role as stewards of the environment. For many of the students, these programs provide them with their first experience outside of an urban setting.
The California State Parks Summer Learning Program is a good model for other programs that address this gap. The annual reports give information on the groups, locations, activities, successes, and challenges of the year's Summer Learning Program. The 2019 final report is currently available.
Parks which host or have hosted Summer Learning Programs:
- Bidwell Mansion State Historic Park
- Caswell Memorial State Park
- Fort Tejon State Historic Park
- Lake Oroville State Recreation Area
- Monterey State Historic Park
- Mount Tamalpais State Park
- Olompali State Historic Park
- Point Lobos State Natural Reserve
- San Clemente State Park
- Shasta State Historic Park
- William B. Ide Adobe State Historic Park
Past participating parks:
- California Citrus State Historic Park
- China Camp State Historic Park
- Henry Coe State Park
- Lake Perris State Recreation Area
- Marshall Gold Discovery State Historic Park
- Samuel P. Taylor State Park
- South Carlbad State Beach
Due to COVID 19 restrictions, some parks have had to discontinue their Summer Learning Programs for a couple of years. Some of these parks are hoping to renew their programs in summer of 2023.